Having a swimming pool in the backyard has become quite common in many homes. Such a pool comes in handy, especially during the hot months of the year when you and your loved ones want to relax and cool down. If you’re considering installing a new pool in your yard, you also have to check out the best swimming pools to buy. However, installing a swimming pool may not be as simple as many people think. It is a project that not only requires substantial finances but also understanding all its twists and turns. This piece will give you a detailed explanation of what you should know before taking the plunge.
Benefits of Having a Swimming Pool in your Backyard
You might not know it, but having a backyard oasis comes with many benefits other than the obvious ones. Swimming is an enjoyable activity that can have a significant positive impact on your general health. But have you ever thought of how a swimming pool benefits your environment and home in general? Here are some benefits of having a swimming pool in your home:
- Increased Property Value: It is no surprise that a home with a swimming pool is more valuable than the one without. According to reports by the National Association of Realtors, a well-maintained pool can increase your home’s value by up to 15%. This is regardless of whether you want to sell your home or keep it for years to come.
- Saving-Money: More people are opting for staycations, especially during this Covid-19 pandemic. The money you save on flights and travels can be used to get treats for your family. A swimming pool is a perfect place that guarantees long hours of entertainment and bringing your family closer by pulling them away from their phones, TVs, video games, and computers.
- Enhances Your Home’s Aesthetics: Having a well-decorated, illuminated, and designed pool in your backyard can be a recipe for jealousy from your neighbors. However, your neighbors and friends will be willing to come around anytime for parties and drinks by the pool. A swimming pool adds to the beauty of your home’s outdoors and offers a perfect place to entertain your family and friends.
- It Helps Improve Your Health and Happiness: Undergoing stress has become a routine for many people. The worst part is that there are no specific remedies for stress. A swimming pool can be a stress reliever and a great way to exercise. Swimming is classified under low-impact activities, making it ideal for improving your health and boosting your mood.
Now that you know the benefits of having a swimming pool in your home, there are some things you need to understand before undertaking swimming pool installation. The factors discussed below will help you make an informed decision on the best swimming pools to buy.
In-ground vs. Above Ground
Did you know there are two types of swimming pools? Many factors distinguish between in-ground and above-ground swimming pools, apart from the differences in cost. If you want to satisfy your quest for backyard bliss, you must be sure which of the two is best for you.
To some homeowners, in-ground pools are not an option because of a tight budget. To some others, the confusion is immense, and it goes beyond just the dollar figures. This section will help you make an informed decision among the best swimming pools to buy.
- Cost: An in ground pool is much more expensive than a comparable above-ground swimming pool. The budget for a low-end in-ground pool can be used to install a high-end above-ground pool, and you get some balance to throw the first pool party. This is why you should be vigilant as you peruse the best swimming pools to buy.
- Appearance: Most people consider in-ground pools more aesthetically attractive than their above-ground cousins because they appear as natural water bodies.
- Installation: Above-ground pools are easier to install, and you can DIY the project as long as you are handy. Installing an in-ground swimming pool requires digging, which makes the process more complicated. You also need to factor in the costs of hiring a concrete company for an in-ground pool if you do not want a pre-constructed fiberglass shell.
- Safety: An above-ground pool has walls extending above the ground, which is a feature lacking in in-ground pools.
Both types are great, depending on your preferences and budget. You can add some extra features to either, such as lights. However, you will need to incur more costs on that to hire an electrical contractor. Additionally, you need to get more information from different sources about the best swimming pools to buy.
Prepping Your Yard
You have finally made your choice among the best swimming pools to buy, which will give your family access to endless fun and an ideal platform for exercising. However, is your yard ready for the project? Are you aware of what you need to do to make your yard ready? In-ground and above ground pools have varying requirements when it comes to yard prepping.
In-Ground Pool Installation: The first consideration to make for such a pool is where it will be constructed relative to your home and the bylaws to be followed to ensure the pool can be built in your backyard. Checking the zoning of the pool involves getting the location of underground pipes, overhead, and other utilities that might be tampered with when digging the pool’s foundation. You also need to ensure that the landscape in your yard can support an in-ground pool. Going for a semi-in-ground swimming pool is a great idea if your yard is sloped.
Above-Ground Pool Installation: The steps taken for this kind of backyard oasis are much milder than those for an in-ground pool. After you have selected your preferred color, size, and design of the pool, the next challenge is to decide where it will be installed in your backyard. It is imperative to have the most accurate measurement of the area to ensure the pool you choose will fit properly. Besides having the right size, you must also ensure the ground you pick for the pool installation is within one inch of being level. If the ground is not level, you could consider digging down any high areas to ensure your pool settles securely in your backyard. Next, you have to clear any objects that may cause distractions through furniture and tree removal processes. Above-ground are among the best swimming pools to buy for people who have a tight budget.
Some safety concerns accompany owning a swimming pool. You could land in trouble with your local authorities if you do not follow the stipulated guidelines and instructions regarding pool safety. Fencing is one of the best ways to ensure your pool is safe. Each state has varying laws and permits to ensure that the erected fences comply with the stipulated standard. Your contractor is better positioned to educate you more on how to comply with local and national regulations and codes.
Additionally, it is your responsibility to ensure the contractor you hire uses quality and current materials. This is especially important when working on other parts of the yard, such as altering your patio design to make sure the pool fits in as you want it to. Sometimes pool-related accidents can happen. Therefore, it is advisable to increase your home owners insurance liability coverage to cover any legal and medical expenses in such scenarios. The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has a checklist you can follow to make your pool area is safe as possible. The items on the checklist include:
- Using self-locking and self-latching gates. Such doors are hard to be opened by children or blown open by the wind. The gates should remain closed when the pool area is not in use.
- Surround the pool with a four foot fence. A five foot fence is also ideal, but it should not have footholds so that children cannot climb over them. The openings on the fence should be small enough to prevent children and pets from crawling through.
- Always remove or secure ladders and steps when an above-ground pool is not in use.
- Have a motorized pool cover and conduct regular maintenance on it. A power safety cover keeps debris and leaves away to ensure that you reap the benefits of a cleaner swimming pool.
- Have alarms installed on all the doors leading to the pool area if you will be using your house as part of the pool fence.
Yearly Maintenance Costs
Regular maintenance practices are inevitable if you want your swimming pool to remain in good condition. A poorly maintained pool will have detrimental effects on the value of your home. So, why take the risk? Your pool’s manufacturer should be in a position to explain clearly how to care for your backyard oasis and when to perform maintenance. You can also get this information from a dealer as they explain about the best swimming pools to buy.
Here are some tips you can follow to help keep your backyard oasis in perfect condition:
- Check the pool’s structure – this includes checking the condition of its walls the gates and being on the lookout for any cracks.
- Clean the filters, especially if you notice a weird odor from your pool or the drain is blocked.
- Make the skimmer basket more effective by emptying its contents regularly.
- Keep the pool’s pH between 7.2 and 7.8 to make it ideal for users. 7.4 is the average swimming pool pH.
- Ensure that your pool water delivery service provider is credible and genuine to avoid using contaminated water in your home.
- Check the pumps and ensure they are working correctly. You can opt for swimming pool solar heating to reduce energy costs and lower your utility bills.
How is an in-ground pool different from an above-ground pool?
In-ground pools are constructed or installed into the ground by the application of concrete or gunite or by the installation of prefab composite fiberglass or vinyl liner. Above ground pools, on the other hand, are swimming pools that have no part below the ground level. In-ground pools can be installed both in residential and commercial spaces, but above-ground pools work well in private residential areas.
Is a pool worth it?
If you reside in hot areas, a pool is a worthy addition to your home. Besides coming in handy during the warmer months, a backyard oasis also improves your home’s aesthetics and market value. However, you need to be updated on some of the best swimming pools to buy.
What is involved in pool installation?
Whether you are installing an in-ground or above-ground pool, the process involves making an electrical trench 18 inches deep, completing the electrical work, constructing the pool, and installing the skimmer, pump, and liner last. More time and money will be consumed if you opt to install a perimeter fence or a deck system in the pool area.
What are plunge pools?
These are small and shallow pools whose purpose is more about relaxation and cooling off than swimming and exercising. They are among the best swimming pools to buy, especially because of their low water consumption, small size, cheap maintenance, and lower construction costs.
Are you thinking of installing a swimming pool in your home? If yes, then understand that such a project is a major investment with a lot of benefits. These include value addition to your home, enhancing the resident’s aesthetics, and offering a quiet place to relax and exercise. However, despite all these benefits, it is wise to be conversant with the idea of pool installation before you even think of getting a contractor. Additionally, you need to check out the list of the best swimming pools to buy to find one that suits your needs.
The information in this article has covered several topics that you need to follow through to ensure your pool will not be useless after a couple of years. Think about which one suits you better between an in-ground and an above-ground pool. Moreover, consider how you prepare your yard to make it ideal for a swimming pool, pool safety, and yearly maintenance costs. After making such considerations, then you are well-equipped to undertake the pool installation project. Finally, consider a reputable pool installation company to assist you throughout the process.